I have written a series of articles about VMware VCB usage. They are concerned about main VCB principles. The backup procedures are performed via VCB command line utilities. It's not bad idea to make a quick list of articles for better orientation among them:
- VM identification - how to identify a virtual machine you intend to backup? The command vcbvmname is the answer.
- VM full backup - how to perform a full backup of the chosen virtual machine? The vcbmounter command can do it.
- VM full backup data access - how to retrieve data from the virtual machine's full backup? It is possible to mount the backup image with the mountvm command.
- VM file level backup - the vcbmounter command is able to perform file-level backup as well.
- VM backup over NFS - this article describes a simple scenario of virtual machine backup over NFS protocol.
- VM backup restore - finally, it is important to know the process of restoring a virtual machine from the backup. You can use vcbrestore.